accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <bus...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Establishing a contrib repo for upgrade testing
Date Fri, 06 Mar 2015 16:04:08 GMT
I was asked off-list why I think this should be in a contrib.

My primary reasons are

1) I want our upgrade code to be versioned independently, because it will
necessarily need to work across versions.

That is, I want a single tool that can be used to test both 1.5.2 -> 1.6.0,
1.6.1 -> 1.6.3, 1.6.z -> 1.7.0, 1.5.2 -> 1.7.0 etc.

This is one area where the current tools need some work, because I dealt
with API changes by just tagging different Accumulo-compatible versions.

2) I want to use a released artifact to test candidate releases of the main
project

I'd like us to be aware of what changes, if any, had to go into our upgrade
testing code to test our new candidate releases. That issue is muddled when
those changes are tied up in the candidate under consideration.

3) I want a downstream project that we (the PMC) have a direct stake in
that will give us better awareness of when our changes cause clients to
alter behavior.

Right now, the only time things like ACCUMULO-3402 show up is when someone
goes to integrate with another ecosystem component. Having a project
"closer to home" makes it easier for these things to come up before we do a
release.

--
Sean