accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <bus...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Establishing a contrib repo for upgrade testing
Date Fri, 06 Mar 2015 20:41:48 GMT
On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 1:48 PM, Christopher <ctubbsii@apache.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 1:03 PM, Josh Elser <josh.elser@gmail.com> wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > My biggest concern in adopting it as a codebase would be ensuring that it
> > isn't another codebase dropped into contrib/ and subsequently ignored.
> How
> > do you plan to avoid this? Who do you see maintaining and running these
> > tests?
> >
> [snip]
>
> I'm curious about these also. Looking at the commits, it looks entirely
> authored by existing PMC/committers. I assume those authors will continue
> to maintain it, accepting pull requests and improving functionality. Can we
> get confirmation on that? If that's the case, I think the concerns about it
> being ignored are relatively low risk. In theory, it could also be another
> surface, from which we can recruit new developers into the community.

FWIW, I'd be happy to be marked as component lead for the contrib. I
believe I can
make myself get a special ping when patches are submitted. This tooling is
part of how I verify upgrades on our RCs, so any patch requests against it
would only
help me.

> I'm willing to give this a +1, since it provides tools which primarily
> benefit Accumulo developers by enabling more release testing and because it
> is already authored/maintained by members of this community. That is
> provided we can address any other issues, like ensuring it works for this
> community, and not just for CDH (which, I imagine is a mutual goal of the
> authors).

Yeah, this part should be a straight forward update of docs. I've been
building
against the ASF releases for about a year.

--
Sean