accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Drob <md...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] Not Deploying Monitor as a WAR
Date Mon, 30 Mar 2015 21:10:17 GMT
Hey Accumulators,

I was thinking about this, and couldn't find the appropriate JIRA, so I'm
brining it up on the mailing list.

I think I'm opposed to packaging the monitor as a WAR and trusting users to
figure out how to make that work.
 - We'll have to develop community knowledge on several technologies to
provide support. Some users will prefer Tomcat, some Jetty, others JBoss,
etc... When a problem is reported, it will be hard to tell if it's a
container issue or an Accumulo issue, all adding to our support burden.
 - We'll have to seriously rework a bunch of tests to set up containers for
the Monitor.
 - I don't think this would gain us anything in terms of security, and
might make things like KRB trickier to use.

This isn't a complete list, but I would be interested in having this
conversation. I don't know how much work has already been done on the topic
(Christopher?).

Thanks,
Mike