accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Establishing a contrib repo for upgrade testing
Date Fri, 06 Mar 2015 18:03:06 GMT
First off, thanks for the good-will in taking the time to ask.

My biggest concern in adopting it as a codebase would be ensuring that
it isn't another codebase dropped into contrib/ and subsequently
ignored. How do you plan to avoid this? Who do you see maintaining and
running these tests?

Some more targeted implementation observations/questions -

* Do you plan to update the scripts to work with Apache Accumulo instead
of CDH specific artifacts? e.g. [1]

* For the MapReduce job specifically, why did you write your own and not
use an existing "vetted" job like Continuous Ingest? Is there something
that the included M/R job does which is not already contained by our CI
ingest and verify jobs?

* It looks like the current script only works for 1.4 to 1.6? Do you
plan to support 1.5->1.6, 1.5->1.7, 1.6->1.7? How do you envision this
adoption occurring?

* As far as exercising internal Accumulo implementation, I think you
have the basics covered. What about some more tricky things over the
metadata table (clone, import, export, merge, split table)? How might
additional functionality be added in a way that can be automatically tested?

* It seems like you have also targeted a physical set of nodes. Have you
considered actually using some virtualization platform (e.g. vagrant) to
fully automate upgrade-testing? If there is a way that a user can spin
up a few VMs to do the testing, the barrier to entry is much lower (and
likely more foolproof) than requiring the user to set up the environment.

Thanks, Sean.

- Josh

[1]
https://github.com/cloudera/accumulo-upgrade-test/blob/master/upgrade-test.sh#L35