accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From dlmar...@comcast.net
Subject Re: [VOTE] Establishing a contrib repo for upgrade testing
Date Tue, 10 Mar 2015 12:16:14 GMT
+1

----- Original Message -----

From: "Sean Busbey" <busbey@cloudera.com>
To: "dev@accumulo apache. org" <dev@accumulo.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 10, 2015 2:48:04 AM
Subject: [VOTE] Establishing a contrib repo for upgrade testing

Hi Accumulo!

This is the VOTE thread following our DISCUSS thread on establishing a new
contrib for upgrade testing. For more details, please see the prior DISCUSS
thread on this topic[1].

Cloudera has recently made public some code used for doing correctness
testing for Accumulo installations across upgrades[2]. The project contains
simple data load and verification tools as well as a rudimentary upgrade
test automation script. Cloudera would like to donate this code to the ASF
and use it as a starting place for a contrib repository focused on testing
Accumulo across versions generally.

Upon passage of this vote, the Accumulo PMC will adopt this repo as a code
base for the new project contrib "accumulo-upgrade-tests" subject to the
ASF IP clearance process[3].

Either as a part of the IP clearance process or immediately thereafter the
repo's docs, artifacts, and packages will be updated to make use of ASF
releases ad naming conventions rather than vendor specific materials.

I (Sean Busbey) have volunteered to shepherd the paperwork in the IP
clearance process, handle the updates to ASF releases, and serve as
component lead for a new Jira component to cover the contrib.

Note that as a contrib repository, the artifacts from this repo will be
versioned independently from the primary Accumulo codebase. While this repo
seeks to be useful for testing across Accumulo releases, this proposal does
not establish any requirement for its use on release candidates of the
primary codebase.

Per our bylaws, this vote will require consensus approval (at least 3
binding +1 votes and no binding vetoes). Though only PMC votes are binding,
all community members are encouraged to vote.

The vote will remain open until 0700 GMT Tuesday March 17 2015 (0300 EDT).

Please vote one of:

[ ] +1: Establish the 'accumulo-upgrade-tests' contrib by adopting the
codebase as described
[ ] -1: Do not adopt the codebase because ...

[1]: http://s.apache.org/MsR
[2]: https://github.com/cloudera/accumulo-upgrade-test/
[3]: http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/

--