accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Current master branch version
Date Mon, 16 Feb 2015 20:17:06 GMT
In favor of stability, I think we should re-add anything that was removed
prematurely, where it makes sense to do so. Some things, like the
mapreduce.lib.util classes I believe were removed due to the fact that it
inadvertently fell into the definition of public API when it never should
have been, and were moved shortly after clarifying what precisely was
included in "public API" (I believe they were added prior to that
definition being added, if I'm remembering correctly). I'm not sure it
makes sense to reintroduce those... because they were never expected to be
used by users anyway (and therefore were moved prior to adopting semver),
but if we really want to be strict about that, we can do those, too.

In general, I think we now want to avoid taking away methods, which means
no bumping major version, unless/until there's compelling API changes that
would warrant such a move. So, I'm in favor of keeping it at whatever it
takes to be 1.7.0 for now.

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii