accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Design-for-comment: Accumulo Server-Side Computation: Stored Procedure Tables starring SpGEMM
Date Thu, 26 Feb 2015 20:43:15 GMT
Thanks for taking the time to write this up, Dylan.

I'm a little worried about the RemoteWriteIterator. Using a BatchWriter
implies that you'll need some sort of resource management - both
ensuring that the BatchWriter is close()'ed whenever a
compaction/procedure ends and handling rejected mutations. Have you put
any thought into how you would address these?

I'm not familiar enough with the internals anymore, but I remember that
I had some pains trying to write to another table during compactions
when I was working on replication. I think as long as it's not triggered
off of the metadata table, it wouldn't have any deadlock issues.

Architecturally, it's a little worrisome, because it feels a bit like
using a wrench as a hammer -- iterators are great for performing some
passing computation, but not really for doing some arbitrary
read/writes. It gets back to how Accumulo/HBase comparisons where people
try to compare Iterators and Coprocessors. They can sometimes do the
same thing, but they're definitely different features.

Anyways, I need to stew on it some more and give it a few more reads.
Thanks again for sharing!