accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Growing project involvement
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2015 20:13:57 GMT
Another anonymous response:

<quote>
I had never looked at the accumulo front page until this morning.  I
think it does ok with "who are you?", but should to better at "*why* are
you?". it indirectly mentions the security model and iterators, but I
think it should make those front and center.  and ingest performance is
huge.

I don't know how aggressive you want to get, but I think you really
ought to directly compare to hbase and cassandra, on various dimensions.

What market segments would you love accumulo to get in to? (health care?
...). If I were a developer looking to spend my hobby time, the front
page might lead me to check out the other projects, and maybe not come
back (and a google of "hbase vs" lists a number of comparisons that did
not even include accumulo).

In general, I think getting more users would get more developers:
   - I think that points to the marketing side of things
   - NiFi is doing a stunningly good job with blog posts about low-pain
setup and examples, right out of the gate

Iterators are terrifying to implement/deploy:

   - they are clearly a novel paradigm when reading the paper/docs, but
implementing and deploying a complex new iterator, or even an update to
an iterator that's been working for a long time, on a large cloud,
always makes me hold my breath until i'm about to pass out
   - Even after i've added every possible unit test I can think of, I
still assume that I will see a storm of crashing tservers when I push
out to a large cloud.
   - Some sort of systematic safety harness for vetting a new iterator
or combination of iterators would be great
   - I think it's mostly scary because we don't really have a small live
playground in to which we can copy data and make mistakes. Maybe the
solution is to create the playground (with real, non-cherry-picked
data), and be able to make mistakes that don't cost days to undo but
that takes a good deal of work, and tools could be written to support that.
<quote>

Some personal thoughts:

Good points about being more assertive WRT marketing. I think it's fair
to say that we get "walked" often because we're not aggressive enough in
stating that Accumulo is a player.

We should make an iterator fuzzing framework. We know what the system
does that is unexpected and can likely codify that in a test
environment. It would take a little bit of effort to implement well, but
I do think it's feasible. Clone()'ing a table is one option if you have
real data in a real environment -- that will at least prevent you from
destroying existing data, but it doesn't protect you against tanking
your Accumulo instance with some thread/memory leak :)