accumulo-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] API release policy for 1.7/2.0
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2014 17:12:05 GMT
On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 9:51 AM, Sean Busbey <busbey@cloudera.com> wrote:
[snip]

> FWIW, I think the "new requirement" John is speaking of is for the 2.0 API
> to include deprecated support for pre-2.0 APIs.
>
>
That was my understanding as well, but I did have every intention of having
that support, precisely because of the concerns over API compatibility that
we've had sporadically throughout several threads... and because it's
generally a good idea... and because we've made a concerted effort in the
past to avoid such breaks in compatibility.


> I was also under the understanding that our plan for 2.0 was to make a
> clean break on APIs to make it easier to maintain strong compatibility
> promises going forward.
>
>
That was never my intention, and I think it'd be a bad idea that would
really inhibit people from upgrading smoothly.


> I'm not sure if this changes my positions since it draws out the timeline
> of effort for those migrating to 2.0 rather than remove  it.. Next time
> let's have a DISCUSS thread prior to calling a vote so I have more time to
> think.
>
>
We've discussed these kinds of issues sporadically here and there. It's not
like we've never discussed API compatibility guidelines, but there are
things we apparently need to make a decision on. A vote helps solidify a
concrete course of action. If you feel there is insufficient discussion in
advance of the vote, please provide a -1 on that basis.

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message