accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] API release policy for 1.7/2.0
Date Tue, 02 Dec 2014 20:29:50 GMT
On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 3:22 PM, Josh Elser <elserj@apache.org> wrote:
[snip]

> Honestly, I don't expect us to have any major 1.x releases after1.7.x.
>
>> These guidelines would just add some minor protection, making 1.x a bit
>> more stable in the transition to2.0  if we ever do have such releases. I'd
>> hate for a user to seamlessly migrate to2.0  from1.7,  but not be able to
>> seamlessly migrate from a1.8  to2.0,  because1.8  dropped some 1.7 API.
>>

> We also didn't expect to have a 1.7 before 2.0 :)

Yes. That's why this thread exists. Because 2.x isn't ready, and 1.x
releases are ongoing, we need something in place to ensure users can easily
transition to 2.0 from these 1.x versions, without breaking. That much was
made quite clear in the discussion on the ACCUMULO-3176 thread. Because, if
we continue the practice of breaking, while we prepare 2.0, it's going to
be hard on users. But if we stabilize, and stop breaking, all the better
for them, no matter how many 1.x versions get released before 2.x.