accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject Planning for (eventual) removal of instance.dfs.{uri,dir}
Date Thu, 11 Dec 2014 01:44:58 GMT
So,

instance.volumes replaces instance.dfs.uri and instance.dfs.dir in 1.6.
But, what's our long-term plan for these? I ask, because we still have
internal code that uses instance.dfs.uri to resolve relative paths.

Should we force these to be re-written at some point (maybe on upgrade to
1.7)? Should we continue to support the deprecated properties indefinitely
and continue the lazy re-write-on-compact? Do we transition by requiring
instance.volumes to specify the volumes, and only use the old properties to
resolve relative paths?

My personal view is that we should provide an upgrade-prep/check tool prior
to upgrade to 2.0, which checks and/or re-writes paths and verifies that
instance.volumes is set.

Does anybody have a different opinion on this?

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii