accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <bus...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] API release policy for 1.7/2.0
Date Thu, 04 Dec 2014 13:15:35 GMT
On Dec 4, 2014 6:55 AM, "Josh Elser" <josh.elser@gmail.com> wrote:

> (I was still confused so I just chatted with John on the subject of his
-1)

> He was under the impression that it would not be feasible to leave the
existing 1.X APIs in place with the creation of the 2.0 APIs; whereas, I
had assumed that this wouldn't be an issue.

> He brought up the issue of how we plan to handle exceptions in the new
API which, would very likely, include changes to the Thrift APIs as well.
If this is the case, we'd now have to support the 1.X API (while it existed
as deprecated) as well as the new 2.0 API. This would likely affect how we
actually want 2.0 API to operate.

> This all kind of boils down to confusion over whether or not there is any
compatibility between 1.x and 2.0. If 2.0 is a clean break from 1.x, this
thread is pointless. Otherwise, we risk not getting the APIs we really want.

> Does this help clarify the concern?

One way to address that kind of concern would be to only support the 1.x
APIs via an optional different end point.

We obviously don't have enough information at this point to evaluate how
much such a separation would take to implement nor how maintainable it
would be.

But there at least seems to be a way to work through that issue if it comes
up.