accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <bus...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Official Guidance to users regarding removal of functions
Date Thu, 11 Dec 2014 20:38:34 GMT
On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 2:19 PM, Kepner, Jeremy - 0553 - MITLL <
kepner@ll.mit.edu> wrote:

> So I think the bigger issue is to revisit the imperative to delete
> deprecated functions (both public & private).  How many instances have we
> had where deleting a deprecated API (public & private) did anything more
> than "clean up" the code?

Personally, I don't think restrictions on private apis should be on the
table. We need flexibility to reduce our support burden and to make
improvements in the overall system that upend our current internal
structures. Often times, that means redoing how pieces work together. If we
have to rely on package and private scopes to delineate our support surface
it'll drive us to make poorer code organization choices.

That doesn't mean we should keep the public API where it is now. We can
expand it as needed to make sure we have a reasonable level of assurances
for downstream users. For example, it would be really great if we could get
to rolling upgrades as a tested thing, at least within minor versions and
preferably across adjacent major versions. I'm pretty sure that requires
expanding the public API to include RPC.

One thing that might make this easier for folks downstream, even without
waiting for a new client API, is to introduce annotations for our expected
audience and stability levels. This would allow us to mark the things that
are public under the current README and also let us flag things that aren't
there but are expected integration points (like custom balancers or
iterators). Hadoop and HBase both do this[1] and HBase even generates
custom javadocs for just those things that are flagged public[2].

[1]: http://hbase.apache.org/book/developing.html#d4209e21495
http://hbase.apache.org/apidocs/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/classification/package-summary.html

[2]: http://hbase.apache.org/apidocs/index.html

--