accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Billie Rinaldi <bil...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Official Guidance to users regarding removal of functions
Date Thu, 11 Dec 2014 17:53:04 GMT
Actually, I wasn't suggesting anything.  I was providing elaboration on
what John was referring to.  I imagine that stronger API guarantees will be
cold comfort in the face of a 1.0 -> 2.0 upgrade.  However, if we had been
using semver all along, there would have been much less pain for users in
the 1.x series.  Also, adopting semver would mean that going from 1.6 to a
hypothetical 1.7 would not suffer from the same upgrade issues.  I doubt
that we could retroactively mitigate the differences in minor versions,
though, so going from 1.3/1.4/1.5 to 1.7 would still be hard.