accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From John Vines <vi...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] API release policy for 1.7/2.0
Date Tue, 02 Dec 2014 20:07:39 GMT
-1 I do not like the idea of committing to 1.7.0-1.9.9... API additions for
the 2.0 API. We have already come to the consensus that 2.0 will break the
1.x API which provides a lot of breathing room and freedom from old
decisions. This causes this issue to come roaring back and an even larger
amount of scrutiny to be required for all 1.7.0-1.9.9... API changes. I
would go so far as to say an undefinable amount of scrutiny since we still
don't have solid foundation of a 2.0 API. We cannot judge API items for how
well they belong in an API that does not exist yet.

Tangential- I would like to see a clause about all current API items will
not be removed (still could be deprecated) until 2.0.0, as I feel this may
ease some concerns about API alteration in 1.7+.