accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] API release policy for 1.7/2.0
Date Tue, 09 Dec 2014 19:53:15 GMT
Sean Busbey wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 5:24 PM, Christopher<ctubbsii@apache.org>  wrote:
>
>> This vote fails, with:
>>
>> -1: Mike, Sean, John
>> +1: Christopher, Keith
>>
>> Even without my implicit +1, or Bill and Josh's late -1's, the vote still
>> fails.
>>
>> I think it would help if each person voting -1 (for reasons other than the
>> fact that there is disagreement or the thread was confusing or difficult to
>> follow), would please reply with a very short and concise summary of what
>> guidelines they think we *should* adopt.
>>

> The compromise proposed by Josh that works for me is the original with the
> addition of
>
> * No client RPC removals or change in behavior of extant calls prior to 2.0
> (non-inclusive or inclusive doesn't matter to me)
> * Documenting the above in release notes for 1.x by way of tests that
> clients compiled with 1.6 work when talking to a cluster running the newer
> release

Thanks *so* much for the clarity here. This greatly helps.

The only thing that is a concern about testing of 1.6 clients against
the newer release. Are you signing up to do said testing? If you fall
off a bridge/get sick/etc, I don't want all newer releases to be blocked
until another community member volunteers or you are free to work on it.
Is that reasonable?