accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Semantic Versioning
Date Thu, 04 Dec 2014 19:09:16 GMT
Christopher wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 1:41 PM,<dlmarion@comcast.net>  wrote:
>
>> >  +1 to semver
>> >  +1 to 1 major release before removing deprecated items
>> >  +1 to forward compatibility between bugfix releases
>> >
>> >  What's the version # for the master branch if these rules are applied?
>> >

> Well, I'd say1.7  still, since it is consistent with our existing rules for
> determining a "major" releasetoday,  *and*  it matches semver definition of
> a "minor" release, because it doesn't break backwards-compatibility
> compatibility from1.6  (with one tiny exception of dropping
> Instance.getConfiguration()... because it was an exceptional situation
> discussed in previous threads; if people are uncomfortable with that
> exception, I can return it to the API, if it helps achieve consensus here).

Sounds right to me.

When we actually have code to land in Apache for 2.0.0, I figured we'd
break 1.7.X off to branch named "1.7" and master would become 2.0.0. We
can have some feature branch in Apache off to the side to make sure
2.0.0 development can happen in a shared environment before making the
above switch.