accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] API release policy for 1.7/2.0
Date Thu, 04 Dec 2014 17:11:39 GMT
John Vines wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 11:52 AM, Keith Turner<keith@deenlo.com>  wrote:

>> incremented

>> API
>>> Again, this is the fear/concern of impacting the new API due to
>> supporting
>>> of the old which *may or may not even happen*.
>>>
>> Good point, we could adopt these rules now and never create a new API.  I
>> think we would be better off adopting this now regardless of wether not we
>> introduce a new API in the future.
>>
>> Also, if we do eventually create an API.  How is it user unfriendly to have
>> the old API around in deprecated form?  The deprecation markings clearly
>> communicate that someone writing new code should not use the old API.
>> However it still allows existing code that users invested time into writing
>> to run w/o issue against 2.0.0.
>>

> I feel like I'm repeating myself. My concern is that the implementation
> details of maintaining the 1.x API in deprecated form will have a negative
> impact on the 2.0 API due to implementation details.

Sorry, Keith, you misinterpreted what I meant -- let me try to restate.
I am assuming that a new API will happen.

What is only a possibility is that the old API implementation would
negatively affect the new API. John's concern is a hypothetical one that
isn't based on any *actual* implementation details. He's assuming that
we will hit some sort of roadblock which we would be unable to resolve
in a desirable way (a way that would not negatively impact 2.0 API).

What I'm saying is that we should address those issues if and when we
get there. When we have context to a concrete problem, we can make a
decision there about how to proceed. Meanwhile, we act under
best-intentions to keep the 1.0 APIs around.

Do you get what I'm suggesting, John?