accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] API release policy for 1.7/2.0
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2014 21:06:34 GMT
Can we bring the discussion back around? I feel like we have two
separate things going on here.

1) Can we avoid further churn in the public API for [1.7.0,2.0.0] by
avoiding any removal or additional deprecation.

2) In 2.0.0, what are we actually going to remove that is already deprecated

re #1, I don't think we have consensus, but I think that is a moderate
middle ground. Some wouldn't mind normal deprecation cycles for normal
releases between now and 2.0.0; others have argued that we should not
alter the public API at all before 2.0.0. I think we should try to focus
the conversation here and come up with a compromise.

re #2, I think we can re-visit what (if anything) is candidate for
deletion when 2.0.0 happens. I don't think that directly necessary to
answer to come to a conclusion on #1.

Correct me if I have misspoken.