accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From dlmar...@comcast.net
Subject Re: [VOTE] API release policy for 1.7/2.0
Date Thu, 04 Dec 2014 14:22:09 GMT

Like I said, I think we are having this pain because we have not defined and agreed to the
meaning of our version numbering scheme. I'd rather have that discussion and agree to something,
as that will likely inform us as to what version the master branch is currently based on the
changes in it. If master, based on the current changes, is 2.0.0 now, then having this discussion
is moot.

p.s. sorry for all the spam, my responses were not making it through for some reason

----- Original Message -----

From: "Josh Elser" <josh.elser@gmail.com>
To: dev@accumulo.apache.org
Sent: Wednesday, December 3, 2014 4:06:34 PM
Subject: Re: [VOTE] API release policy for 1.7/2.0

Can we bring the discussion back around? I feel like we have two
separate things going on here.

1) Can we avoid further churn in the public API for [1.7.0,2.0.0] by
avoiding any removal or additional deprecation.

2) In 2.0.0, what are we actually going to remove that is already deprecated

re #1, I don't think we have consensus, but I think that is a moderate
middle ground. Some wouldn't mind normal deprecation cycles for normal
releases between now and 2.0.0; others have argued that we should not
alter the public API at all before 2.0.0. I think we should try to focus
the conversation here and come up with a compromise.

re #2, I think we can re-visit what (if anything) is candidate for
deletion when 2.0.0 happens. I don't think that directly necessary to
answer to come to a conclusion on #1.

Correct me if I have misspoken.