accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From "Kepner, Jeremy - 0553 - MITLL" <kep...@ll.mit.edu>
Subject Official Guidance to users regarding removal of functions
Date Thu, 11 Dec 2014 16:36:02 GMT
When we remove functions, do we have any official guidance to our users who may have built
applications that use those functions?

Right now, the official position is that the Accumulo developers can remove based on a consensus
vote. However, this provides no guidance to users as to what they are suppose to do? As it
stands, our guidance is that they have the following choices:

(0) Diligently watch the Accumulo e-mail list and aggressively weigh in on any vote to remove
functions that may impact them.

(1) Find someone to modify the original source code of their applications, build it, and *re-verify*
the application. I emphasise the re-verify because that is usually the most costly part of
the process that often won't get approved by management.

(2) Don't upgrade Accumulo.