accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From dlmar...@comcast.net
Subject Re: Planning for (eventual) removal of instance.dfs.{uri,dir}
Date Thu, 11 Dec 2014 15:52:30 GMT
"Making it required is annoying if users don't have relative paths."

But this property is used to determine the location of new files.....

----- Original Message -----

From: "Christopher" <ctubbsii@apache.org>
To: "Accumulo Dev List" <dev@accumulo.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2014 10:03:56 AM
Subject: Re: Planning for (eventual) removal of instance.dfs.{uri,dir}

Well, no, the database will start if we rely on instance.volumes, but we
may be unable to find files that have relative paths, if we incorrectly
assume /accumulo. Making it required is annoying if users don't have
relative paths.

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii

On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 8:15 AM, <dlmarion@comcast.net> wrote:

> How so? If someone upgrades from another version and is using a different
> dir, doesn't specify it in the configuration, and we assume /accumulo, then
> their database won't start. The other option, which may be safer than
> making any assumptions, is to make instance.volumes a required parameter
> with no defaults.

removal of
> > instance.dfs.{uri,dir} </div><div>
> > https://github.com/ctubbsii/accumulo/tree/ACCUMULO-2589) does have a
> > commit
> > that drops a bunch of stuff (which may or may not be accepted as is for
> > 2.0). The instance.dfs.{uri,dir} properties aren't so easy and require
> more
> > planning, because it's not just removing a property... it's also dealing
> > with updating internal data by making relative paths absolute.
> >
> > For what it's worth, I'm also looking at what changes if we drop Hadoop 1
> > support.
> >
> > As for the validation of config, I think we do a sanity check on startup
> > already, which we can always extend. Doesn't solve this issue, though.
> >

> > --
> > Christopher L Tubbs II
> > http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii
> >
> > On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 8:59 PM, dlmarion <dlmarion@comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> > > We should schedule a bunch of deprecated things for removal in 2.0 to
> > ease
> > > maintenance. Do we have a way to validate the site.xml and zookeeper
> > > settings before startup and fail with appropriate error message.

<
> > > ctubbsii@apache.org> </div><div>Date:12/10/2014 8:44 PM (GMT-05:00)

removal of