accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Corey Nolet <cjno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Contribute Examples/Exercises
Date Wed, 12 Nov 2014 21:52:40 GMT
Josh,

> My worry with a contrib module is that, historically, code which goes
moves to a contrib is just one step away from the grave.

You do have a good point. My hope was that this could be the beginning of
our changing history so that we could begin to encourage the community to
contribute their own source directly and give them an outlet for doing so.
I understand that's also the intent of hosting open source repos under ASF
to begin with- so I'm partial to either outcome.

> I think there's precedence for keeping them in core (as Christopher had
mentioned, next to examples/simple) which would benefit people externally
(more "how do I do X" examples) and internally (keep devs honest about how
our APIs are implemented).

I would think that would just require keeping the repos up to date as
versions change so they wouldn't get out of date and possibly releasing
them w/ our other releases.

Wherever they end up living, thank you Adam for the contributions!