accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Bennight <ch...@slowcar.net>
Subject TabletLocator API stability / alternates?
Date Wed, 05 Nov 2014 23:58:53 GMT
So we have some code (a custom input format for data persisted in accumulo
with a custom indexing scheme (geospatial/n-dimensional)):

https://github.com/ngageoint/geowave/blob/GEOWAVE-84-squash/geowave-accumulo/src/main/java/mil/nga/giat/geowave/accumulo/mapreduce/input/GeoWaveInputFormat.java#L355

The intent behind this was to provide better locality and split information
since we have a bit more application specific knowledge available than the
general use case.

I'm pretty sure there's no other way to get this locality information other
than using the TableLocator class.

The arguments + ordering change for TCredentials to Credentials and the
method signature from getInstance() to getLocator() are the two things
breaking our 1.5.1 -> 1.6.x compatibility.
(specifically:
https://github.com/apache/accumulo/commit/99da5641c28784c7b717cce6749673863c2ec8cf#diff-c45768534f53d5455cc05c75676fb871R49
https://github.com/apache/accumulo/commit/446a37a9795f2df7adc841154ca05add79cf286e#diff-c45768534f53d5455cc05c75676fb871R95
)

It's pretty obvious from the diff these were intentional - so no joy there
in accidental changes that could be fixed.

Are we just to far down in the weeds, and are going to have to deal with
supporting multiple versions/breaking changes (via refactoring, dropping
support, or maven-munge maybe), or is this class/methods/signatures
expected to be pretty stable now?

(Or is there a better/more supported way of getting tablet locality
information?)