accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Contribute Examples/Exercises
Date Fri, 14 Nov 2014 18:14:32 GMT
Since there's an opinion to create an examples repo instead of keeping
them in the base project, I'm -0 as long we CI set up so that they don't
go silently into the night as I previously state as a concern.

Some general questions for actually doing this: do we schedule the move
of the classes out of the main project for 1.7.0? Will this other repo
follow the same development practices as the project (e.g. branch
names). How will we release these examples?

Can someone step up to make sure all of the above are
completed/addressed and file the necessary INFRA JIRA issues?

David Medinets wrote:
> +1
> On Nov 14, 2014 11:18 AM, "Keith Turner"<keith@deenlo.com>  wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 4:52 PM, Corey Nolet<cjnolet@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> Josh,

>>> moves to a contrib is just one step away from the grave.
>>>
>>> You do have a good point. My hope was that this could be the beginning of
>>> our changing history so that we could begin to encourage the community to
>>> contribute their own source directly and give them an outlet for doing
>> so.
>>> I understand that's also the intent of hosting open source repos under
>> ASF
>>> to begin with- so I'm partial to either outcome.

>>> mentioned, next to examples/simple) which would benefit people externally
>>> (more "how do I do X" examples) and internally (keep devs honest about
>> how
>>> our APIs are implemented).
>>>
>>> I would think that would just require keeping the repos up to date as
>>> versions change so they wouldn't get out of date and possibly releasing
>>> them w/ our other releases.
>>>

>>> Wherever they end up living, thank you Adam for the contributions!
>>>
>> I'll 2nd that.
>>
>> For the following reasons, I think it might be nice to move existing
>> examples out of core into their own git repo(s).
>>
>>   * Examples would be based on released version of Accumulo
>>   * Examples could easily be built w/o building all of Accumulo
>>   * As Sean said, this would keep us honest
>>   * The examples poms would serve as examples more than they do when part of
>> Accumulo build
>>   * Less likely to use non public APIs in examples

>> there's
>> do

>>> about

>>> separate