accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Fuchs <afu...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Deprecation removal for 1.7.0
Date Wed, 08 Oct 2014 18:48:01 GMT
On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 3:52 PM, Josh Elser <josh.elser@gmail.com> wrote:
> I like the idea of leaving deprecated things until the next major
> release (2.0.0 in this case). It would encourage us to choose
> carefully what APIs we add :)

+1

Despite the fact that certain people (ahem Josh) are not deterred, I'm
still of the opinion that deprecation alone is sufficient to steer
people away from confusing and suboptimal API methods. The cost of
removing methods is largely hidden to us developers, but users will
incur too much maintenance expense porting code to newer versions.
These users are in many cases using code that is several years old,
they often don't have the development resources to port their code to
newer Accumulo versions if it doesn't just compile, and they're not
usually actively participating in conversations on our lists about
method deprecation. I've had several complaints come to me from users
in the community on this subject, and they rarely find my arguments
for removing deprecated code compelling.

Adam