accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From David Medinets <david.medin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: C++ accumulo client --> native clients for Python, Go, Ruby etc
Date Mon, 06 Oct 2014 20:15:52 GMT
How far away from the theoretical maximum rate is the thrift protocol?
What kind of gain is expected from the native C++ approach?

On Sat, Oct 4, 2014 at 12:56 PM, John R. Frank <jrf@diffeo.com> wrote:
> Accumulo Developers,
>
> We're trying to boost throughput of non-Java tools with Accumulo.  It seems that the
lowest hanging fruit is to stop using the thrift proxy. Per discussion about Python and thrift
proxy in the users list [1], I'm wondering if anyone is interested in helping with a native
C++ client?  There is a start on one here [2]. We could offer a bounty or maybe make a consulting
project depending who is interested in it.

> We also looked at trying to run a separate thrift proxy for every worker thread or process.
 With many cores on a box, eg 32, it just doesn't seem practical to run that many proxies,
even if they all run on a single JVM. We'd be glad to hear ideas on that front too.

> A potentially big benefit of making a proper C++ accumulo client is that it is straightforward
to expose native interfaces in Python (via pyObject), Go [3], Ruby [4], and other languages.