accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Deprecation removal for 1.7.0
Date Mon, 06 Oct 2014 22:04:58 GMT
On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 5:36 PM, Jeremy Kepner <kepner@ll.mit.edu> wrote:

> What is the harm of keeping them as deprecated?

Two minor harms:

Confusion for new users, and maintenance issues (we have to fix broken
stuff, even if it's deprecated). These aren't hypothetical, either. For
instance, I can demonstrate that the instance.getConfiguration() has been
misused since its introduction, at least partially by confusion over what
it was supposed to return and by bugs in its implementation... by devs,
never mind users.

Presumably new users aren't using them.
> The only people affected will be your oldest and biggest customers,
> many of who are still on 1.4.

People still on 1.4 are not affected until upgrade time. Given the amount
of removal that has already occurred in the 1.x series, we're not doing 1.4
users any favors by leaving more stuff in for them to choose from if
they're upgrading directly to 1.7.0. If they are upgrading through 1.5, or
1.6, I can see an argument for retaining stuff deprecated since 1.5.0 to
ease that path, as much as possible... but I don't know that we were that
cautious in 1.6.

I think the general trend here is that we want to be conservative in
removal. I can appreciate that. We've already discussed 2.0 having more
strict compatibility guarantees to avoid the need to have these kinds of
discussions in future.

So, let's narrow the discussion to removal of stuff deprecated prior to 1.5
(which includes aggregators) and the problematic
instance.getConfiguration(). And, I won't push for anything to be removed
which was deprecated in 1.5 or later until 2.0.0 with API compatibility
guarantees.