accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Deprecation removal for 1.7.0
Date Tue, 07 Oct 2014 03:18:12 GMT
On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 9:45 PM, Adam Fuchs <afuchs@apache.org> wrote:

> So, I think we can make a general argument to set policy, and when removing
> a specific method we should make a specific argument. Personally, I would
> set the bar at identifying the specific harm cause by the retention of the
> method, as well as polling the community and considering objections.
>
> Christopher, you made an argument about people misunderstanding the
> semantics of the method and using it incorrectly. Is that not solved by
> just deprecating the method?

Clearly no, since mistakes are still occurring in 1.7.0-SNAPSHOT and it was
deprecated in 1.6.0. Further, it was hard to notice because:

1) it's the only way to currently get that information from the API to the
RPC layer (see ACCUMULO-3199)
(In my proposed commit[1], I offer a temporary workaround which involves
better naming, and limits the API to the ZooKeeperInstance only)
2) the use of the method occurred in a somewhat badly named utility method
which suppressed deprecation warnings

Until ACCUMULO-3199 is fixed to address the shortcoming of being able to
get the user-provided client RPC config to the RPC layer, this method is
going to be prone to abuse.

[1] https://github.com/ctubbsii/accumulo/commit/52806b6?diff=split

--
Christopher L Tubbs II