accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 1.7 release timeline
Date Wed, 08 Oct 2014 16:12:58 GMT
On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 9:47 AM, Sean Busbey <busbey@cloudera.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 12:13 AM, Josh Elser <josh.elser@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Forgot one:
> >
> > *Drop Hadoop 1 support*
> >   - We would no longer care about maintaining Hadoop 1 APIs (get rid of
> > crappy reflection)
> >   - 2.2.0 (Hadoop 2 "stable") came out just under 1 year ago
> >   - Can be done for 1.7 or reconsidered for 2.0
> >

> Do we already know if focusing on just Hadoop 2.2.0+ support will result in
> any API impact?

I can't imagine it will impact our client API much, if any, but it'll
certainly help simplify and fix bugs in our use of Hadoop (when they
appear), and may result in fewer compatibility issues in MapReduce and
elsewhere (dynamic class loading, reflection workarounds). It should also
allow us to provide some guarantees in durability-related features (because
we'll know they exist). It should also help simplify documentation and
example configs, as well as reduce testing burdens.

+1 to dropping Hadoop <2.2.0 in 1.7.0.

> > *Upgrade test script*
> >> - Keith mentioned there's some code from John McNamee that might help
> >> testing upgrade paths
> >>

> If we can make this a contrib, I have some code from Mike and I that we'd
> like to add.

+1

--
Christopher L Tubbs II