accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <bus...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Deprecation removal for 1.7.0
Date Wed, 08 Oct 2014 22:54:20 GMT
I agree that a reasonable expectation is that we won't break downstream
code. That's the reason
we have a deprecation policy.

We already require a full major release on things that are marked
deprecated, and generally
are good about proactively adding deprecation markers on older releases as
an advisor. Users
who are updating will get compiler warnings if nothing else. Users who
aren't updating
needn't worry about compatibility.

Requiring a review prior to removing public API isn't tenable without
changing our overall develoment
model to be Review Then Commit. When mistakes happen, we fix things once we
know about them
(e.g. ACCUMULO-2659 & ACCUMULO-2726). That's a limitation of the
development model we've chosen.

--
Sean