accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Drob <mad...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Deprecation removal for 1.7.0
Date Mon, 06 Oct 2014 21:12:34 GMT
I think before we can agree on a deprecation strategy, we need to firm up
the scope for this release plan.

What are the intentions for 1.7.0? Is it a "minor release" in the sense of
our previous minor releases, where we add a bunch of new features and
maintain some compatibility promises? Or are we going to try and make it a
truer minor release, where we cut down on the number of features and have
more conservative stakes in the ground?

Is this the same 1.7.0 that was going to be renamed to 2.0.0? Or an
intermediate release?

When do we need to deprecate the mapred API if we plan to drop Hadoop 1
support in Accumulo 2? (as has been discussed, but I'm not sure it was ever
formally decided.)

In general, I'm inclined to leave as much in as possible, and then if we
must remove things then do so in 2.0.0. I know that our compatibility
statement only promises one minor version, but that doesn't mean we have to
be strict at every opportunity.

Mike