accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Havanki <bhava...@clouderagovt.com>
Subject Re: Deprecation removal for 1.7.0
Date Tue, 07 Oct 2014 19:03:46 GMT
I took a look at Christopher's commits for ACCUMULO-3197 and they all look
fine to me. Any other reviewers may like to add "?w=1" to the URL for each
commit to ignore whitespace-only changes in the view, e.g.:

https://github.com/ctubbsii/accumulo/commit/dc1332b5fb5f358f3fff432a1a0fef4f56c1628e
*?w=1*

Going forward, it'd be nice to have a rule of thumb for how long a
deprecated item will linger: some possibilities:

- 2 minor releases or the next major release, whichever comes first
- always until the next major release (this may make sense starting with
2.0.0)

I like the idea of a tool to find use of deprecated calls; it appears that
Eclipse and Sonar can do that:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14490021/scanning-code-base-for-use-of-deprecated-methods

Overall, +1 to removing deprecations from 1.4 and earlier.

Bill

--
// Bill Havanki
// 443.686.9283