accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: C++ accumulo client --> native clients for Python, Go, Ruby etc
Date Mon, 06 Oct 2014 18:34:37 GMT
It'd be really cool to see a C++ client -- fully implemented or not. The increased performance
via other languages like you said would be really nice, but I'd also be curious to see how
the server characteristics change when the client might be sending data at a much faster rate.

My C++ is super rusty these days, but I'd be happy to help out any devs who can spearhead
the effort :)

John R. Frank wrote:
> Accumulo Developers,
>
> We're trying to boost throughput of non-Java tools with Accumulo.  It seems that the
lowest hanging fruit is to stop using the thrift proxy. Per discussion about Python and thrift
proxy in the users list [1], I'm wondering if anyone is interested in helping with a native
C++ client?  There is a start on one here [2]. We could offer a bounty or maybe make a consulting
project depending who is interested in it.

> We also looked at trying to run a separate thrift proxy for every worker thread or process.
 With many cores on a box, eg 32, it just doesn't seem practical to run that many proxies,
even if they all run on a single JVM. We'd be glad to hear ideas on that front too.

> A potentially big benefit of making a proper C++ accumulo client is that it is straightforward
to expose native interfaces in Python (via pyObject), Go [3], Ruby [4], and other languages.