accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Thinking about branch names
Date Tue, 23 Sep 2014 13:04:13 GMT
+1 to static dev branch names per release series. (this would also fix the
Jenkins spam when the builds break due to branch name changes)

However, I kind of prefer 1.5.x or 1.5-dev, or similar, over simply 1.5,
which looks so much like a release version that I wouldn't want it to
generate any confusion.

Also, for reference, here's a few git commands that might help some people
avoid the situation that happened:
git remote update
git remote prune $(git remote)
git config --global push.default current # git < 1.8
git config --global push.default simple # git >= 1.8

The situation seems to primarily have occurred because of some pushes that
succeeded because the local clone was not aware that the remote branches
had disappeared. Pruning will clean those up, so that you'll get an error
if you try to push. Simple/current push strategy will ensure you don't push
all matching branches by default. Josh's proposed solution makes it less
likely the branches will disappear/change on a remote, but these are still
useful git commands to be aware of, and are related enough to this
situation, I thought I'd share.

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii