accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Fwd: Dropping support for JDK6 in Apache Hadoop
Date Tue, 19 Aug 2014 19:32:15 GMT
FYI

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Dropping support for JDK6 in Apache Hadoop
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 10:52:45 -0700
From: Arun C Murthy <acm@hortonworks.com>
To: dev@hbase.apache.org <dev@hbase.apache.org>, dev@hive.apache.org,
dev@pig.apache.org, dev@oozie.apache.org
CC: common-dev@hadoop.apache.org <common-dev@hadoop.apache.org>

[Apologies for the wide distribution.]

Dear HBase/Hive/Pig/Oozie communities,

  We, over at Hadoop are considering dropping support for JDK6 this year.

  As you maybe aware we just released hadoop-2.5.0 and are now
considering making the next release i.e. hadoop-2.6.0 the *last* release
of Apache Hadoop which supports JDK6. This means, from hadoop-2.7.0
onwards we will not support JDK6 anymore and we *may* start relying on
JDK7-specific apis.

  Now, the above releases a proposal and we do not want to pull the
trigger without talking to projects downstream - hence the request for
you feedback.

  Please feel free to forward this to other communities you might deem
to be at risk from this too.

thanks,
Arun

--