accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From William Slacum <wilhelm.von.cl...@accumulo.net>
Subject Re: Is the Column Family especially useful for iterators?
Date Fri, 11 Jul 2014 02:41:46 GMT
Like most things in big table, it really depends on your use case. The
column family can potentially control the location of a given key/value
pair on disk.

I wouldn't say it's necessarily more useful than any other part of the key
tuple. We have some built-ins that make searching for or suppressing column
families easier. They matter more when in a locality group, as there are
potential performance gains there.