accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject Re: moving rat to a profile?
Date Fri, 11 Jul 2014 12:24:10 GMT
I'd like to point out that there's a few upstream JIRAs related to this
conversation that, if resolved, might address all concerns in this thread:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RAT-61
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RAT-157
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RAT-164

To the points made, I really don't find the error message to be that
problematic for new contributors, especially now that `git status`
prominently shows the ignored files left behind from a build in a different
branch. It tells you precisely what the problem is, and which file to look
in to to see the details. The bare minimum thing a contributor can do is
read the error message, after all. And, doing so will begin getting them
into the mindset of understanding the licensing, which is really a
prerequisite for contributing.

I empathize with the concerns enumerated about the error being related to
something other than what the user did... but the fact is, it's not
unrelated to what the user did. It's related to the fact that they are
using the SCM, building, then switching branches, then building again
without cleaning up the previous build. This would be equivalent to
unpacking a tarball and running `make`, then unpacking a different tarball
over top of the first and running `make install`. It's not unrelated to the
contributor's actions. However, it is true that they may not understand the
quirks of maven, git, and the rat plugin, to understand how it is related
to what they did, and with that I share the expressed frustration, but am
also more than willing to help any contributors fill this gap in their
understanding (as I'm sure we all are). I further doubt that this has
actually caused any possible contributor to be turned away, without so much
as a question in IRC or on the mailing lists.

At this point, I think there's probably an irreconcilable difference in
views regarding the default action of this plugin. So, perhaps it might be
necessary to simply vote on the issue.

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii

On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 7:07 AM, Sean Busbey <busbey@cloudera.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > > Since this came up in Review (https://reviews.apache.org/r/23391/),
> I'm
> > > revisiting this thread.
> > >
> > > In short, it seems there was some confusion on whether or not we had
> > > reached consensus on enabling rat by default, with
> rat.ignoreErrors=true
> > > set to default, and requiring any entities that should be responsible
> for
> > > checking legal status of contributions to turn it in (set
> > > rat.ignoreErrors=false for Jenkins, committers, etc.)
> > >
> > > I think one problem is that there was not actually consensus. This was
> > > proposal made previously by Bill Havanki to do the above, after which
> we
> > > agreed to minimally making changes to make "git clean -df" sufficient.
> > But
> > > there did not appear to be any consensus reached on disabling error
> > > checking by default, as proposed. Billie had expressed concerns about
> > > encouraging committers to not take care in checking the legal status of
> > > their commits, and not only do I share those concerns, I'd also extend
> my
> > > concerns to any contributor. This is simply something that everybody
> > > contributing to ASF should be aware of. Committers have the extra
> > > responsibility, but even contributors and potential committers should
> > > understand the contribution requirements, the development process, and
> > have
> > > put in some minimal amount of thought about whether they have the
> ability
> > > to contribute a particular piece of code legally.
> > >
> > > Additionally, I'm concerned about who we'd be easing things for.
> There's
> > > clearly an increased risk of commits/contributions without strict
> > checking
> > > for licenses (we've seen past commits with these errors... just do `git
> > log
> making
> > > the easy route one that serves who, exactly? The ASF makes it quite
> clear
> > > that SCM is for developers, not end users, and this is an SCM-specific
> > > problem (specifically branch switching in git).
> > >
> > > So, I do not think there is consensus. There are certainly outstanding
> > > concerns for disabling the rat check by default. However, I think there
> > is
> > > room for further discussion and compromise, and I'd love to consider
> more
> > > solutions (or discuss the merits of the proposed solutions). For
> > instance,
> > > one area of compromise I've conceded (as stated in the review) is that
> > > think it'd be a good idea to put the rat check in a profile which can
> be
> > > optionally disabled, so that it doesn't take the 3 extra seconds to
> run,
> > > which could impact some iterative testing (like running one IT at a

I want
> at
> > > the
> > > relaxing