accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Removing relative paths from metadata
Date Tue, 22 Jul 2014 16:51:22 GMT
Had some discussion w/ Dave Marion about the need to drop relatavie paths
from internal metadata.  From a user standpoint the requirement to possibly
configure instance.dfs.uri and instance.dfs.dir if they might have relative
paths is confusing over the long term.  Also it places more of a
maintenance burden on us if we need to ensure all bug fixes and new
features work properly w/ relative paths.

What are our options and what should the timeline be?  We could require the
user to do something to remove all relative paths before before starting
1.7.0 for example.

Some of the things we discussed

 * Provide a utility to rewrite all relative paths
 * Rework the volume replacement code to work w/ relative paths

A stand alone utility is tricky.  Don't want to modify tablet metadata if
the table is loaded.  Thats why the volume replacement code has the tablets
themselves do the replacement.

I like the idea of reworking the volume replacement code, but I do not like
the idea of it happening automatically (like the first time 1.6.2 is
started).   Could possibly have a boolean config
instance.volume.replaceRelative.  When this is set, as tablets are loaded
and when the GC starts relative paths would be replaced using current
instance.dfs.* config or hdfs config.

Still uncertain about the best solution.  Looking for the course of least
user confusion and least maintenance.  I think
instance.volume.replaceRelative is a bit confusing from a user perspective.

What other options are there to solve this problem?  Any issue w/ the
premise?