accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Search
Date Wed, 23 Jul 2014 21:18:12 GMT
Hmm, digging through the code, I might retract my claim.

Constraints might fire early enough in the server-side pipeline that it
just "appears" like another client writing data. I'd need to do some
more testing to make myself confident though :)

On 7/23/14, 5:02 PM, Donald Miner wrote:

> Can you explain the deadlock? Is it only if i have a cyclical trigger? Or is there something
else?

> Not trying to argue my constraint approach is a good idea. It it is a bad idea.  Just
curious.

>> On Jul 23, 2014, at 4:54 PM, Josh Elser <josh.elser@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Constraints execute server-side.
>>
>> It might work to write to an external system but it's still bogus for proper lifecycle
methods on cleanup inside Accumulo. Writing to Accumulo within a constraint is still deadlock
prone, as well.

>>> On 7/23/14, 4:51 PM, Donald Miner wrote:
>>> We thought about this for text indexing. We found we could use Constraints as
they trigger on write. Seems like a bit of a hack and i have no idea if it would blow something
up.