accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject tserver.mutation.queue.max default in 1.5
Date Wed, 23 Jul 2014 20:36:43 GMT
I started running some tests against 1.5.2 today and was baffled for a
few hours with horrid ingest performance (~30% of what I expected).

After staring at configs for a while, I finally realized it was because
I didn't increase tserver.mutation.queue.max from the default of 256k.
Sure enough, this resulted in speeds that I expected.

I see that in 1.6.0, the default value for this was increase from 256K
to 1M (in ACCUMULO-1905). I know we have it written down in the release
notes, but I think the likelihood of causing terrible performance for
users is much greater than causing OOMEs (or similar increased memory
footprint) problems for users. I would like to change the default for
1.5.2 to 1M to match 1.6.0.

Thoughts/worries/complaints?