accumulo-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From David Medinets <david.medin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Reduced testing burden for bug-fix releases
Date Thu, 19 Jun 2014 20:03:57 GMT
+0 I'm changing my vote after some reconsideration. Having the ability
to vote -1 on a release as Keith mentioned is good enough for a
bug-fix release.

On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 3:20 PM, David Medinets
<david.medinets@gmail.com> wrote:
> -1 I hesitate to step into this discussion because I can't also step
> up and do the long-term testing even as I recommend that it must be
> done. There are at least four companies supporting Accumulo and
> contributing back to the project. Surely one of those companies can
> supply the resources to continue the existing test regimen? Is there
> some concern that those resources won't be available for the next
> release cycle?
>
> On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 3:13 PM, Josh Elser <josh.elser@gmail.com> wrote:
>> As we're starting to consider 1.5.2 and 1.6.1 coming out in the near future,
>> I want to revisit a discussion[1] I started at the end of April regarding
>> the "testing burden" that is currently set forth in our release document[2].
>>
>> What I'm proposing is to modify the language of the release document to be
>> explicit about the amount of testing needed. For bug-fix, "minor" releases
>> (e.g. 1.5.2 and 1.6.1), the 7 days of testing using continuous ingest and
>> randomwalk (with and without agitation) will be clearly defined as "may"
>> instead of "should" or "must" language. If the resources are available, it
>> is recommended that some longer, multi-process/node test is run against the
>> release candidate; however, it is not required and should not prevent us
>> from making the minor release.
>>
>> I will also include language that strongly recommends that the changes
>> included in the "minor" release be vetted/reviewed as a way to mitigate the
>> risk of shipping new regressions.
>>
>> I am not recommending that the language be changed for "major" releases
>> (e.g. 1.7.0 and 2.0.0) as these releases still imply significant new
>> features or internal changes.
>>
>> Unless someone informs me otherwise, I will treat this as a normal
>> lazy-consensus approval. Assuming we move closer to "proper" semantic
>> versioning for 2.0.0, I believe these updated guidelines will change again.
>> I do however think there is merit in making this change now so that we can
>> get the good bugs that we've fixed out to our users.
>>
>> Let me know what you think. I will wait, at least, the prescribed three days
>> before changing any thing.
>>
>> - Josh
>>
>> [1]
>> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/accumulo-dev/201404.mbox/%3C535931A7.30605%40gmail.com%3E
>> [2] http://accumulo.apache.org/governance/releasing.html

Mime
View raw message