accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject Initial Release Plan for 2.0.0
Date Fri, 06 Jun 2014 18:35:32 GMT
Devs,

We've had several discussions around the idea that the next major release
to be 2.0.0, but we're still doing work and making tickets as though it's
going to be 1.7.0. I'd like to proceed with some initial actions that
formalizes this version bump to get things moving in that direction, with a
basic outline. We can modify this plan as needed, and if we later decide we
do want a 1.7.0 release, we can always create another release plan to fork
1.6.x and apply the desired patches and release from there.

According to the bylaws, a release plan is lazy consensus, unless vetoed,
in which case, we'd kick off a majority vote. With that in mind, the
following is my initial release plan for 2.0.0.

Release Plan Actions for 2.0.0 (to be done on or around June 11, allowing
time to veto):
=====
* Update version in git master branch from 1.7.0 to 2.0.0
* Rename JIRA version 1.7.0 to 2.0.0

Initial anticipated features (from previous discussions/work):
=====
* New client API (in progress)
* Replication (in progress)
* Drop support for Hadoop versions < 2.2 (not yet started)
* Drop support for Java < 1.7 (complete)
* Jetty 9 (ready to merge)
* More... (reply with additions to this list or use JIRA fixVersion to
identify issues)

Contingency plan for incomplete features:
=====
* Rollback, or clearly mark as experimental/beta, on a case-by-case basis.

Release Manager:
=====
* Initially, I'll volunteer, but I'm willing to pass it off or assist
somebody else, if they really wish to do it.

Key dates:
=====
* Feature Freeze - October 1, 2014 (create branch; no more feature merges,
minor API polishing/bugfixes only, full testing begins)
* Code Freeze - November 19, 2014 (no more polishing, bugfixes for blockers
identified in RCs only, RC1 is made)
* Expected Release - December 3, 2014

--
Christopher L Tubbs II