accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Allen <mich...@sqrrl.com>
Subject Re: moving rat to a profile?
Date Tue, 17 Jun 2014 19:28:45 GMT
On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 3:26 PM, Billie Rinaldi <billie.rinaldi@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 12:14 PM, Michael Allen <michael@sqrrl.com> wrote:
>
> > In my not so humble opinion, adding licenses to a small set of missing
> > files really isn't that hard for a release manager (or other random
> > committer) to do periodically.  On the other hand, the barrier that the
> RAT
> > checks throw up to new developers is quite real, and quite annoying.
> >

> The problem is not the actual adding of licenses, but that this encourages
> a lack of understanding of committer responsibilities.  From our bylaws,
> "Under the terms of the CLA that all committers must sign, a committer's
> primary responsibility is to ensure that all code committed to Apache
> Accumulo is licensed appropriately and meets those criteria set forth in
> the CLA (including both original works and patches committed on behalf of
> other contributors)."  It doesn't matter if contributors check the license
> headers, but committers should be checking them for every commit, not just
> periodically or at release time.

I agree with that.  I think having contributors always having one profile
on by
default in their .m2 file, but not making newcomers turn it on,
is a good way to get to the result you're looking for.

--

*Michael Allen*
Security Architect | Sqrrl-----------------------------------130

The information contained in this communication may be confidential,
subject to legal privilege, or otherwise protected from disclosure,
and is intended solely for the use of the intended recipient(s). If
you are not the intended recipient of this communication, please
destroy all copies in your possession, notify the sender that you have
received this communication in error, and note that any review or
dissemination of, or the taking of any action in reliance on, this
communication is expressly prohibited.  Please note that sqrrl data,
INC. reserves the right to intercept, monitor, and retain e-mail
messages to and from its systems as permitted by applicable law.