accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Drew Farris <drew.far...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Accumulo Summit Hackathon
Date Wed, 18 Jun 2014 01:49:56 GMT
As promised, here are some stats:

The Accumulo Hackathon ran from 6:30pm to 11:00pm on June 12th, 2014. It
had 42 total attendees from places like Booz Allen Hamilton, Clearedge,
Cloudera, DoD, Hortonworks, JHU APL, Koverse, and sqrrl among other
organizations. The attendees included many of the core Accumulo project
founders and a number of the primary committers.

Leading into the Hackathon, the Accumulo community had identified 95
tickets as being suitable for new folks to work.

As the end of the event 4.5 hour event, 10 tickets were marked as complete
with code committed back to Accumulo and 7 tickets were marked in-progress.

In the course of the event 10 separate contributors worked on tickets, 5 of
these contributors were new or infrequent contributors to Accumulo.

Less tangibly, some solid mentoring and design work occurred throughout the
event. I observed some great collaboration between senior developers and
new contributors. Having many of us together in one room enabled some
detailed engineering and design to occur on components like the encryption
implementation, which a number of folks were working on.

Overall – it was a great session, people seemed to be having fun, learning
a lot, and working hard, so definitely a positive outcome.

Thanks again to all who participated.