accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <bus...@cloudera.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Should we support upgrading 1.4 -> 1.6 w/o going through 1.5?
Date Mon, 16 Jun 2014 21:24:37 GMT
In an effort to get more users off of our now unsupported 1.4 release,
should we support upgrading directly to 1.6 without going through a 1.5
upgrade?

More directly for those on user@: would you be more likely to upgrade off
of 1.4 if you could do so directly to 1.6?

We have this working locally at Cloudera as a part of our CDH integration
(we shipped 1.4 and we're planning to ship 1.6 next).

We can get into implementation details on a jira if there's positive
consensus, but the changes weren't very complicated. They're mostly

* forward porting and consolidating some upgrade code
* additions to the README for instructions

Personally, I can see the both sides of the argument. On the plus side,
anything to get more users off of 1.4 is a good thing. On the negative
side, it means we have the 1.4 related upgrade code sitting in a supported
code branch longer.

Thoughts?

--
Sean