accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <bus...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: moving rat to a profile?
Date Tue, 17 Jun 2014 19:34:31 GMT
On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 3:28 PM, Michael Allen <michael@sqrrl.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 3:26 PM, Billie Rinaldi <billie.rinaldi@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 12:14 PM, Michael Allen <michael@sqrrl.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > > In my not so humble opinion, adding licenses to a small set of missing
> > > files really isn't that hard for a release manager (or other random
> > > committer) to do periodically.  On the other hand, the barrier that the
> > RAT
> > > checks throw up to new developers is quite real, and quite annoying.
> > >

> > The problem is not the actual adding of licenses, but that this
> encourages
> > a lack of understanding of committer responsibilities.  From our bylaws,
> > "Under the terms of the CLA that all committers must sign, a committer's
> > primary responsibility is to ensure that all code committed to Apache
> > Accumulo is licensed appropriately and meets those criteria set forth in
> > the CLA (including both original works and patches committed on behalf of
> > other contributors)."  It doesn't matter if contributors check the
> license
> > headers, but committers should be checking them for every commit, not
> just
> > periodically or at release time.
> >

> I agree with that.  I think having contributors always having one profile
> on by
> default in their .m2 file, but not making newcomers turn it on,
> is a good way to get to the result you're looking for.

Right, exactly. If we have a problem with our committers holding up their
responsibilities wrt license checking, that's only going to be solved with
education and making the checking easier (such as showing them how to turn
on the rat profile in their .m2).

Those who are non-compliant aren't likely to be more compliant just because
we make things hard so long as there is some way to bypass it. Not having
an easy way to bypass it puts too much of a burden on our new contributors.

--
Sean