accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <bus...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: moving rat to a profile?
Date Tue, 17 Jun 2014 19:16:49 GMT
On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 3:09 PM, Christopher <ctubbsii@apache.org> wrote:

> What we can do, to help contributors, is update the .gitignore files to
> ignore these build items in specific modules (the ones that exist for the
> given branch) so that ones leftover from a previous branch show up as new
> files when switching to a branch where the previous module no longer exists
> (because they won't be ignored by git and hidden from 'git status').

This would be an improvement, because then we could recommend "git clean
-fd" (or even "git clean -f"), which would avoid the removal of IDE files.

> Additionally, we could stop recommending people use "git clean -fdx" and
> actually help them understand how to identify the issue by suggesting they
> actually read the build output and respond to it accordingly (eg. open
> target/rat.txt and find the offending issues and triage whether those are
> actually missing licenses or are simply leftover from a previous branch).

The reason we start with a git clean is the high false positive rate. The
vast majority of contributors aren't adding new files. All they're going to
learn is "oh, right the build directories are still there." Asking them to
get used to handling rat is going to increase our barrier to entry for a
very marginal benefit.

--
Sean