accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <bus...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Initial Release Plan for 2.0.0
Date Sat, 07 Jun 2014 16:52:42 GMT
inline

On Sat, Jun 7, 2014 at 11:40 AM, Christopher <ctubbsii@apache.org> wrote:

> I'd consider the compatibility statement a blocker for the release, but not
> a blocker for the release plan.

Certainly. I just don't see it listed on the release plan for something
we'd want done prior to releasing. That's the only reason I mentioned it.

> I said 2.2, because the only Hadoop releases prior to that in the 2.x
> series are alpha/beta releases... and I wouldn't want to have to maintain
> compatibility with alpha/beta releases. It may be that those would work
> just fine... I just don't want to make it a goal.

That sounds reasonable to me. I just want to make sure we discuss it in
case someone else has a particular need for an earlier compat.

> Given our past history of releases, I think Sept 12 would be *way* too
> optimistic. This timeline is already shorter than the 1.6 one, but I want
> to be practical. If things go more rapidly than we expect, we can release
> earlier, but I'd rather not impose an artificial rush on things.

Didn't 1.6 have a much larger target feature set? I don't recall if a
formal set of "what do we want in 1.6" plan happened, but IIRC the meeting
notes from the initial video chat discussion had a fairly extensive list.

The obvious blocker is going to be the new API. Probably that work can be
broken up across multiple people though?

--
Sean