accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <bus...@cloudera.com>
Subject moving rat to a profile?
Date Tue, 17 Jun 2014 18:44:51 GMT
I've had a few different new-to-Accumulo contributors recently run into the
issue of Rat failing the build after changing branches.

I know we already have a warning about this[1], but AFAICT it's over the
threshold for consumable information.

Even after pointing people to the warning, the existing workaround tripped
up atleast one of them. Despite the warning about using "git clean," the
destruction of their local IDE changes were surprising.

For contributions to Accumulo that aren't coming from committers, the Rat
plugin seems much more likely to give a false positive than to catch an
error. Additionally, whatever committer is reviewing the contribution
should be checking for license compliance anyways.

In the interests of reducing the surprise for new contributors, I'd like to
move our use of Rat to a profile that is only default enabled during a
release run.

The profile would still let those who want rat to run on every build to
enable it and we could update the guide for handling new contributions to
say committers should enable the rat profile to help guard against errors.

Any objections?

[1]: http://accumulo.apache.org/source.html#running-a-build

--
Sean